detroit metro airport
Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW) was officially dedicated on September 4, 1930 as Wayne County Airport. Today, DTW is one of the United States’ major international airports, covering 4,850 acres in Romulus, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It is Michigan’s busiest airport, and one of the largest airline hubs in the country. It is Delta’s 2nd-largest hub and currently houses two terminals, Edward H. McNamara Terminal and North Terminal.
The McNamara Terminal opened February 25, 2002, replacing the aged Davey Terminal. It is used exclusively by Delta. The North Terminal opened September 17, 2008, as the replacement for the aged Berry and Smith terminals.
TCG was brought in to aid the airport in upgrading its communications systems. This included the paging system and switches, phone system and fiber optic cables. The scope of the project involved replacing old switches as required with new Cisco switches, and running a combination of fiber optic and CAT-6 cabling to connect it all. This was a nuanced installation, given the obvious nature of a major, working airport. Much of the work had to be done behind the scenes and during hours when normal airline operation wouldn’t be disrupted. A tremendous amount of testing had to be done once the hardware was in place, as TCG’s technicians needed to be able to log in, test, and verify working ambient sound sensors, microphone stations, and amplifiers. These substantial system upgrades were operational as of February 19, 2019.